Saturday 30 June 2012

Tinkering with Textures

Making the mock croc effect card for Sunday Stampers this week got me into messing about with texture and effects.  To begin with, I mentioned Badger Balm;  Badger Balm comes in several varieties (in cute little tins).  I'm a fan of the muscle rub kind (especially after a brisk quickstep!) and the Love Of My Life swears by the sleep balm.  I pinched his to try out on card and I am liking this result!

On the left is the card (embossed with a Fiskars texture plate called leather, although to me it looks a bit reptile-ish!) and on the right is the same card that I've rubbed Badger Balm into.  It comes out looking like old, soft leather, with a subtle sheen, not glossy...very nice!


A few years ago I came across a technique for making faux leather by brayering dimensional paints onto card.  I wondered if it would work with other media, so I tried it with cheap-as-chips PVA onto coloured card and I am well pleased with the result!
I brayered PVA onto the card making sure the last pass was one-way. I'm going to try this technique with gel medium and add some colour with acrylic paints.

If you're going to try this, don't use your best Speedball brayer though, or if you must, have a bowl of water handy and throw the brayer straight into it when you've done, or it'll end in tears!

1 comment:

Jenny Marples said...

Bit of a technique junkie myself and I like what you've done here. It's great to play!! Hugs, Buttons x