Saturday 13 October 2012

Davy Jones's Locker

Hello everyone, and thanks for visiting! I've been somewhat quiet on the blogging front of late, partly because my "real life" has been insanely busy but largely because I have been working on my final assemblage for Andy Skinner's Timeworn Techniques course.

Andy's course runs over eight weeks. At the start of the course, you get access to the "how-to" videos and it's up to you which order you try the techniques. You also get access to a private forum where you can post pictures of your efforts and Andy will critique them, offering constructive comments. The techniques are all achieved using acrylic paints plus one or two other items, and if you want to know more, invest in the course!

So here it is - my final piece.
The Dead Man's Chest!

I started with this -

and constructed the trunk, based on Laura Denison's Trunk Full of Memories pattern, adapted a bit.



And after a lot of work -



The spyglass extends and collapses like a real telescope.  Took me ages to work put how to do it!
The hasp of the fastening and the ring that holds the chains are plastic curtain rings;  the anchor and the skull are moulded from paper clay.  Apart from the chain, everything else is recycled cardboard from packaging.

The side of the chest - the octopus was moulded out of paper clay before being given the timeworn treatment!


A chest has to have treasure!  The spyglass fits into the case.  The skulls are plastic beads.


The tray comes out for more storage


The telescope case -

When I started the course, I didn't think I was going to enter a final piece (it's not compulsory)   I certainly didn't think I'd be waking up in the morning thinking "I need to make a telescope!"  or making "rum" out of clear acrylic floor wax and ink!  I've enjoyed every minute, recommend it to anyone with an interest in achieving these effects, and have signed up for the altered bottle course next month.  So I'll just have to start stockpiling wine bottles to alter...have to empty them first, though.  It's a hard job, but somebody's got to do it....

4 comments:

Linda said...

WOW! That's really a great chest! Very well done Keren!!!

Ella's Design said...

WOW! This is amazing, Keren! Who'd have thought you could transform cardboard packaging into this?! Your attention to detail is phenomenal! I LOVE it! Lisa x

Jenny Marples said...

Think you deserve a bottle or two to celebrate achieving this miracle of crafting frankly Keren!! It is 'out of this world' amazing - glad you explained how each part was constructed as on first glance you would assume much of it was bought ready done - yes it is that professional. I'm surprised you didn't disappear 'til Christmas to achieve it. Huge congrats on a job well done. Hugs, Buttons x

Suzanne C said...

Wowzer is this fabulous! I love the rusty texture on the outside and all the pieces are perfect! Absolutely fabulous! Thank you for playing along with us at Simon Says stamp and Show!