Sunday 11 November 2012

Cherish your Dreams

Hi folks, thanks for stopping by!  Hope you're all having a lovely crafty weekend, wherever you might be, and welcome to my blog.
 
The Stamp Man's latest blog challenge is to make something embossed, and as it's my younger son's birthday next week (he'll be 25 - how is that possible?) I thought I'd combine making something for the challenge with his birthday card. 
 
I have to confess to another happy accident here.  The coloured panel (done with an Alterations embossing folder) was orignally a practice piece for a "painted chipped metal" technique.  The technique is paint-heavy so the card used in the making needs to be a good weight - 300 gsm is recommended, and I use Centura Pearl (the plain side) for most things.  In this case, I put the card into the folder the wrong way up.  Rather than waste it, I reasoned that the piece was going to be covered in paint so Nobody Would Ever Know.  Which worked until the final aging layer was wiped off, and took some of the lower layers with it, leaving behind areas where the pearl card is peeping through. 
 
The faux leather/crocodile is made by taking brown card and brayering a layer of PVA or gloss gel medium over the top.  If you try this, work quickly, brayer in one direction and don't overwork it - and clean your brayer immediately if you're planning to use it again!  Once dry, the card can still be embossed, as you can see.
 
What else? Oh, the "stitching" on the vertical strip was done by pricking out the holes (with my Tim Holtz ruler) and then dragging the tip of the piercing tool from hole to hole.  The sentiment is from Pink Petticoat, cut with a Spellbinders die and coloured with Distress Ink in Vintage Photo.
 
Well, I've had a lovely week off work, crafting to my heart's content, but now it's back to real life.  I may be a bit quiet for a while as I'm going to be busy elsewhere - a Risk Management course in work for one thing - but don't worry, I will be back!  See you soon, I hope.
 
TTFN!


2 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

Love how you have put this together Keren. So many inventive ideas at work. Thanks for sharing, hugs Buttons x

Zoechaos said...

Wonderful so rich and textured perfect for a young chap. Thank you for joining us at The Stamp Man XOXO Zoe